Monday, June 6, 2022

The Garden Awakens

*garter snake alert - 9 photos down. Some find them alarming; I think garter snakes are cute and helpful.

Spending Memorial Day weekend at my mom’s house means that you get to take home “all the plants.” This year, the Lady with the Greenest Thumbs” planted extra pepper and tomato seeds, “just in case some don’t come up.” 


They all came up!!! And the majority got put into the entire back of the Subaru. It’s becoming quite the Farm Car.

I thought it would be a good idea to freshen up the garden beds with not one, but TWO yards of compost/topsoil mix. I may have overestimated my dirt needs.

Some of the first butterflies to visit the newly added soil.

Garden bed number 1 finally ridded of weeds, aerated, new soil added, and ready for planting. Look at those amazing roots on those tomato plants!

20 minutes later…

20 minutes after that…


Round 2…


A third bed of tomato plants…


Garden friends! Someone had babies, and there were at least 5 cute garter snakes that I saw this week. Go eat those insects!


Fourth bed with peppers! Sadly I didn’t get a fifth bed finished before leaving the Farm for a spell. But my neighbor took the remaining 20 pepper plants to his church and gave them away. Looking forward to harvest and lots of tomato sauce!

No comments: