Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Baking Community

Apparently I am part of a baking trend during this pandemic. When I saw the linked Washington Post article at the end of March, I immediately logged into Instacart and the Kroger app, and sure enough, flour and yeast was not available locally. Fortunately, I did think to stock up on flour and yeast, but maybe not to the extent that I can make all the bread products I would like to consume through May. But the small parade of baked items below (now partially eaten, partially frozen) should tide me over for the next few weeks at least.


My mother's rye bread recipe is finally starting to turn out like the loaves I remember. I am getting more bold about adding additional flour to reduce excess moisture before the second rise, and the consistency is improving.


The Farmer ordered some challah at the beginning of our shelter in place time, and we gobbled up two loaves in just a few days. I thought it would be better to make it ourselves, and it turned out just as great, probably even better with how fresh we ate it. This recipe was the basic challah recipe from the All Recipes site.


Finally, a clearing and re-organization of the cupboard unearthed some mulberry jam that was immediately turned into mulberry jam cake. I have to remember to pick some more berries this summer so I can make this again. So yummy! Recipe below.


Spring is advancing here. Gardening posts are on the radar among other projects. Hope you are all well! Hand-washing, sneezing into your elbow, and staying home still highly recommended! Stay safe, friends.

Mulberry Jam Cake
Prepare 2 9-inch round baking pans. Preheat oven to 325*.
Cream together:
     3/4 c butter
     1 c sugar
     3 eggs
Add and mix:
     1 c mulberry jam
Add and mix:
     1 tsp baking soda
     2 c flour
     1 tsp cinnamon
     1 tsp nutmeg
     1 tsp cloves
     1 tsp vanilla
Alternate adding and mixing:
     3/4 c buttermilk (kefir or yogurt work also)
     1 c flour
Fold in:
     1 c chopped nuts (walnuts)
     1 c raisins (golden)
Divide equally into 2 pans and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.
Enjoy with powdered sugar on top and whipped cream, if desired!

No comments: