Saturday, July 15, 2023

Catching Up

Whew! June was a bit crazy (as was May), and I have a half dozen posts to catch you up on. Let’s start a little off-topic (blog-wise) with my birthday project, which kicked off a new decade for me. 


During the pandemic, one of my dear friends asked what musical project was next for me, and I had a lame knee-jerk answer that would basically be a repeat event. A few days later I knew that I really wanted to conduct an orchestra of women in a program of women composers. And then the planning started. 


I was lucky enough to work with many local friends in the freelance community and take some conducting lessons to polish my baton work with a friend from college. We performed a program of music by Elfrida Andrée, Amélie-Julie Candeille, Jordan Jinosko, and Jessie Montgomery. It was a crazy amazing challenge and experience!


Composer Jordan Jinosko was kind enough to drive down for a rehearsal, talk to the musicians and give me feedback.  Of course, I had to introduce her and her partner to the alpacas, and they all loved them both!




A long-time stand partner of mine played for me and had these fun shirts made for the orchestra members. They were designed and produced by another musician who was unable to play in the orchestra. What gems!


The project was a terrific way to ring in a new decade! I am so thankful for the enormous community that helped me make my dream become a reality. This orchestra program really focused the lens on how people in my community are my most valuable resource. I am deeply humbled and grateful for all of you!


Happy birthday to me!



 

No comments: