Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wayfarer Scarves

"Sit awhile wayfarer,
Here are biscuits to eat and here is milk to drink,
But as soon as you sleep and renew yourself in sweet clothes I will certainly kiss you with my goodbye kiss and open the gate for your egress hence."
From Leaves of Grass: Song of Myself by Walt Whitman

Walt Whitman is a genius. I could not have chosen better words for the friend I made these scarves for. We were roommates long ago. Even before then we shared a love for great home baked bread (consumed late at night), visiting, and long walks (known also as Hiking). Now she shares these scarves, these "sweet clothes," with her new husband.


The happy couple got married on my birthday last year. I started the scarves late, finished even later, and FINALLY, here is the concluding blog post. WHEW!! Introducing the completed matching Wayfarer Scarf set.



The other genius in this story is Jared Flood, the author of this charming Wayfarer pattern. I always learn something new when I try one of his patterns, and this scarf was no different. How about those long columns of slipped stitches as they wander left and right down the scarf? Beautiful results and enough variation to hold one's interest over many feet of otherwise monotonous knitting is such a bonus.

Finally, I want to acknowledge the sweet generosity of a friend whom I haven't met thus far, but none the less donated a massive amount of beautifully hand spun yarn to my stash. Thanks, A.C.!



The Details: #1, Brown
Pattern: Wayfarer Scarf by BrooklynTweed
Yarn: Handspun yarn by A. C. from a Romney sheep named Helga
Colorway: Brown, natural
Needles: Size 8
Started: July 6, 2011
Finished: August 5, 2011
Notes: Great plane and camping knitting. Many inches knitted in the Pacific Northwest while enjoying the temperate rain forest.



The Details: #2, Gray
Pattern: Wayfarer Scarf by BrooklynTweed
Yarn: Handspun yarn by A. C. from a Copworth sheep named Norman
Colorway: Gray, natural
Needles: Size 8
Started: September 9, 2011
Finished: January 2, 2012



Of course I couldn't resist packing them up in a little hand sewn, reversible, re-usable gift bag.


Here's a toast to "Happily Ever After!" Cheers!

No comments: